Two farmers were on their way home one evening after a hard day's work. Both were tired. They happened to look up at the sky and saw a black cloud overhead.
"Ah!" said one farmer, "tomorrow we shall have rain and the rice will grow well." The second answered, "Nonsense (胡说), the rain will only kill the crops (庄稼)."
So they began to quarrel (争吵). Just then a third farmer came along and asked them why they were quarreling. Both farmers explained about the black cloud.
"What cloud?" asked the third farmer. They all looked at the sky. The cloud was no longer there.
Choose the right answer
1. The two farmers were _____.
A. going home
B. going to the field
C. going to work
D. going to see their friend
2. The two farmers _____ on that day.
A. had a holiday
B. didn't work
C. worked hard
D. wanted to quarrel with each other
3. When there are black block clouds in the sky, _____.
A. it will rain soon
B. it will be fine
C. it will get hot
D. the sun is shining brightly
4. The two farmers fought in words because _____.
A. they were hungry
B. it rained
C. one said the rain would do good to the crops and the other didn't think so
D. they both hoped for rain
5. The third farmer came with and said to the other two. He _____.
A. wanted to make friends with them
B. joined them in the quarrel
C. wanted to know why they were quarreling
D. had nothings to do
6. How many farmers said that the rain would be helpful? _____.
A. None B. One C. Two D. Three